The Caltech Community’s Statement on Ethical Conduct
We are all part of the Caltech community whether we are located on campus, at JPL, at observatories or anywhere else in the universe. As members of the Caltech community, we expect that each of us will embody the high standards that have gained Caltech its worldwide reputation. In 2012, members representing the Caltech community began a conversation on ethical conduct. These discussions focused on the overarching values of our community. As a result of these discussions, we describe, in detail, these values in 11 short statements.
1. Strive for Excellence
- We commit to excellence in all things in process as well as outcomes, knowing that only the process is truly under our control.
- Responsibility and accountability are the hallmarks of our
2. Act with Integrity
- We uphold integrity in all we do.
- We hold ourselves accountable for the outcomes of our actions.
3. Encourage Open, Honest, and Respectful Discourse
- We encourage open, honest, and respectful discourse from and between all members of the community, regardless of position, length of service, or role.
- We treat one another with civility.
4. Respect and Promote Freedom of Inquiry
- We encourage curiosity in research, scholarship, and exploration, and we create the conditions where inquiry can flourish.
5. Foster a Supportive and Diverse Community
- Every member of the Caltech community treats one another with dignity and respect.
- We value different perspectives, opinions, and ideas.
- We enable one another’s excellence.
- We support the health and wellness of all community members.
6. Commit to Education
- The opportunity for excellence in education exists at all levels and in formal and informal ways that benefit students, employees, and members of our community.
- We are committed to being great educators—as leaders, mentors, and friends—not only of our students, but also of our community, our peers and colleagues, and ourselves.
7. Conduct Work Responsibly
- We fulfill the obligations of our role.
- We are responsible stewards of the Institute resources entrusted to us, including the environment, equipment and facilities, money and people.
- We respect the environment and are conscious of our impact.
8. Protect the Interests of Those Who Place Their Trust in Us
- We are forthright with our students, their parents, employees, managers, and people who rely on us for leadership and accountability at all levels.
- We hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity in peer reviews, scientific evaluations, and recommendations.
- We represent ourselves accurately and factually to our peers, sponsors, and the general public.
- We are open and honest in all our dealings with the government, external agencies, taxpayers, and donors.
- We honor our obligations to donors and sponsors.
9. Provide and Maintain a Safe Environment for Learning and Working
- We create, provide, and maintain a safe environment for ourselves and for others.
- We foster the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of our community.
10. Obey the Law and Comply with Institutional Policies
- We are scrupulous in all business dealings.
- We are truthful, forthright and accurate when preparing all books, records, documents, reports, and publications.
- We adhere to local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- We deal honestly with government in all matters.
11. Represent Caltech
- We represent Caltech whether we are based on campus, at JPL, our observatories, or anywhere else in the world.
- We are ambassadors and advocates, embodying the high standards that we set for ourselves and to which we are held by others.
- We are committed to the Institute and its mission recognizing that our actions as individuals reflect on Caltech.
As members of the Caltech community, we embrace the letter and the spirit of these principles. Each member is personally responsible for incorporating these principles into their own actions and is encouraged to speak up if they, in good faith, believe the Institute or any individual is falling short of living up to them. We are proud of Caltech and to share the community’s commitment to these values.